Recent Posts

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quiche with Filo Dough Crust

I've never made quiche before, but my friend Marci explained how to do it, so I gave it a try.  Wow...it was delicious!  I chopped 2 cloves of garlic, 1 large shallot, and about 5 or 6 slices of deli ham.  I took about half of an 8 ounce roll of filo dough and placed three sheets at a time, at different angles, into a pie pan sprayed with pam.  Then I sprayed each layer, and brushed a little melted margarine on them, folding the ends under to make a pretty crust.  Baked it about 15-20 minutes at 275 until it was looking crunchier, but not browned.  Once it was out I put the oven to 350.  I sauteed the shallots and garlic in some of the leftover margarine, then added the ham and a bunch of frozen spinach (the kind from a bag that's already little pieces).  While those were hanging out in the pan I beat four eggs and about a cup of milk in a bowl.  Put the filling in the pie shell, then the egg mixture and grated about 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar and mixed it all together in the pie shell.  Baked for about 40-45 minutes and serve! 
I also served some honey glazed carrots with this.  I cut the carrots into round slices and boiled them for about 5 minutes.  Mixed a couple tbps of margarine in a small skillet, added a BIG spoonful of raw honey, a little splash of lemon juice, and a pinch of ginger.  Once it was boiling I added the carrot slices and sauteed until the juices were all absorbed.  WOW were those carrots good!  A nice sweet compliment to the savory quiche.  :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fanastic!

Anonymous said...

yummy!! Pics and quiche! Oh and did the husband "quiche the cook"? har-har

Post a Comment